Procreate is a great drawing app for ipad, ideal for designers, illustrators and drawing enthusiasts. Today I answer your question: how to color with procreate ?
How to color with Procreate
Your design is ready: you have drawn the line, now you want to color it.
The coloration is a crucial step! Today I teach you to Colorant in Procreate. if you want to learn how to make a gradient in procreateI invite you to read my article on the subject.
There are two techniques forr coloring in Procreate : by dragging and dropping or directly with the brush (made more precise).
How to color by drag and drop
The most basic form of Colorant in Procreate is the drag and drop feature, equivalent to the paint pot in Photoshop. The result will give you solid colors no texture
As the name suggests, all you have to do is click on the color chip at the top right of your screen and drag it to the area to be colored.
To do this, your area must be perfectly delimited: you must take care to make the lines with an “inking” type brush, whose lines are continuous, so that the paint does not cross them. The advantage of this technique is that it is fast. The downside is that it doesn’t allow you to paint on a different layer than line.
How to color with the brush
To color with a brush, nothing could be easier! You just need to follow these steps:
- First, I invite you to choose a brush in the brush library. Some of them are especially suitable for Colorantespecially in bookstores: Painting, Artistic, Airbrushing, Texture…
- Then create a new layer – it’s important to isolate your drawing layer from the color layer, so as not to affect your drawing.
- Color with selected brush
The advantage of this technique is that it allows for texture effects thanks to the type of brush selected.
How to color without going overboard
May color without going over in Procreate. Here are two options:
- Using the selection tool, select the range to Colorant (either freehand or automatically), then create a new layer keeping the selection – now you can color without exceeding or affecting the line layer.
- Using the clipping mask method. To learn how to make a clipping mask in procreate, see my article on the subject.
- Thanks to the Alpha Lock method: this option allows you to color your layer without overdoing it. To do this, you just have to slide two fingers on your layer to the right: the background is grid, this means that the Alpha Lock command is active.
That’s it, now you know how to color with Procreate. 🙂 Think about saving your work.